Leave it to a pandemic to come up with a new term in the skincare world – maskne. Maskne describes breakouts that happen with constant face mask-wearing. Although face masks are needed right now, it doesn’t mean that you have to suffer from any acne and skin irritation. At Five Senses Spa, Salon and Barbershop we offer professional salon facials to keep your face cleansed, exfoliated, and clear from blemishes. In fact, our Outer Peach Tulasara facial is specifically designed for acne prone since and breakouts.
In between your facial appointments, here are some self-care tips to follow to keep your skin looking healthy.
Self-Care Skin Tips
- Keep multiple clean masks on hand. Moisture tends to cause buildup on your mask whether it’s just from breathing or talking all day while at work. This warm, damp environment is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria which can lead to breakouts and rashes. Rotating masks during the day can help to keep your mask dry and bacteria-free all day.
- Regularly wash masks. If you’re wearing cloth masks, they need to be washed and thoroughly dried regularly to avoid a buildup of bacteria and acne-causing dirt. A dirt mask causes grime to get intertwined in the fibers that are sitting next to your skin all day.
- Choose the right mask for you. Wear only masks that fit you well and are made from soft, hypo-allergenic materials. Natural fibers offer breathability and a gentler to your skin. A loose mask will rub, causing friction and a tight mask will create pressure and can be more prone to rashes.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Although you may be experienced at practicing good oral hygiene, now’s the time to step it up a level. It’s natural for small amounts of bacteria to be released every time you exhale. However, now, it’s all trapped under your skin and next to your skin. Try keeping a travel-size mouthwash or a toothbrush to try to keep that area as bacteria-free as possible.
- Keep your skin well hydrated. Between the moisture of your breathing and the constant friction and rubbing of your mask, your skin can become prone to dryness and breakouts. Use a gentle oil-free Aveda moisturizer to keep your skin well hydrated and healthy.
Besides these self-care tips, the best thing you can do for your skin is to set up a schedule with Five Senses Spa for regular salon facials to keep your skin healthy, younger-looking, your pores clean, and avoid maskne before it becomes a problem.
To learn a little more about our Tulasara facials, read our blog to find out which is best for you.
Our professional estheticians at Five Senses Spa, Salon & Barbershop are here to help you maintain healthy skin with regular salon facials. Call us today at (309) 693-7719 to book an appointment. You can also visit us at 5035 W American Prairie Drive in Peoria, Ill. Or better yet, book the perfect appointment for your schedule with our mobile app! It’s available for free from iTunes or Google Play.